The Toll-Free Messaging Verification process allows LC Phone customers to send more important business messages, and make sure your customers see them. Our users who adhere to their stated use case and all applicable rules (including LC Messaging policy) should see greatly reduced message filtering on Toll-Free traffic towards all major networks in the US and Canada. To help aid customers in the Toll-Free registration process, we have created this comprehensive guide.
Why Was My Toll-Free Verification Rejected?
Notice: Starting November 8, 2023, messages sent from Non registered (previously “Unverified”) Toll-Free phone numbers will be blocked in the US.
Submitting your Toll-Free phone numbers for verification moves them into a Pending Verification(In Progress) status which allows for the existing industry-wide sending limits and will be subject to progressively tighter message filters while waiting for final approval:
Daily limit: 2,000 message segments per phone number account
Weekly limit: 6,000 message segments
Monthly limit: 10,000 message segments
Toll-Free caps are maximum daily limits, not a guaranteed minimum, so traffic could still experience message filtering even when well below the daily limits if not verified.
Starting Jan 31, 2024, messages sent from Toll-Free phone numbers with Pending Verifications will be blocked and subject to messaging fees. Pending messaging limits are also subject to change.
-> Any blocked messages will return Error 30032 or Error 30007.
-> This is only valid for the US and Canada Toll Free Numbers
-> This is only required for messaging and does not have any impacts on calling
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Who needs to verify?
Toll-Free Verification is required for sending messages over Toll-Free phone numbers to the US and Canada. Users who don't verify will be blocked from sending any messages over Toll-Free numbers beginning on November 8, 2023. We recommend all users submit their registration as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing, and verification. For more information, see What happens if I don't complete Verification.
Toll-free number registration is a great way to sustain your messaging while you wait for your A2P 10DLC brand/campaign approval.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Go to the Manage Numbers page (only visible for agency admins and users) Keep in mind you’ll experience verification delays if you omit any information.
- Click on Phone Numbers
- Click on Number Info
- Click on Start Registration
- Fill out the details here:
- Use Case Description example - We send appointment confirmations, message notifications, and offers for chiropractic adjustments to existing patients or new patients who have opted in to receive SMS notifications. The communications are sent via in-person POS, website forms, or webchat. End users opt in through a form on the website: https://www.abccompany.com/contact-us, via the website chat widget, and also through our POS system at our office, with consent language similar to that on our website.
- Message Content example- David, it's Kate from ABC Company. Thanks for opting in to receive SMS notifications. I just saved a time for you on Thursday, June 15, 2023, at 4:00 PM, and I'll see you then! If anything changes, just let me know. If you need to opt out, reply STOP.
- Opt-In Workflow Image URLs example: https://storage.googleapis.com/msgsndr/RNTEDRA9ap9xSh2MyTYS/media/65271336fe7786badd88b169.png
- The link you attached needs to reflect where customers consent to receive further messages from you.
This is highly important to avoid any rejection from the carrier since they are asking for proof of opt-in. Two examples of the Opt-in here:
- Once submitted to the telephony channel, the verification process can take 2-3 weeks to complete. During this time, your Phone Numbers are moved to a ‘In Review’ state that removes the messaging limits while we review your submission. In Review status - no actions is required
Upon receipt of your submission, carriers review and process your verification request. Please allow approximately 2-3 weeks for this process.
At this point, we will automatically move the numbers associated with your request into the Pending Verification status. This change allows you to send limited messages from your Toll-Free number but subjects your traffic to progressively tighter message filters while verification is processed. Pending Verification numbers have the following limits:
- Daily limit: 2,000 message segments
- Weekly limit: 6,000 message segments
- Monthly limit: 10,000 message segments
Notice: These Pending limits are the maximums, and are not guaranteed. If you start to see 30007 errors but have not reached the posted limitations, you can assume that the messages are being filtered.
Once you submit your verification request, you can monitor the verification status as it changes during processing through the Console. Please see below for a full overview of each status:
|TFPN Traffic||Traffic limits||What's happening?|
Starting on November 8, 2023, ALL Restricted traffic will be blocked in the US. To avoid this, we recommend submitting your number(s) for verification as soon as possible.
Restricted (previously “Unverified”) status means that your Toll-Free number has not been submitted for verification or was not approved.
|Pending Verification (Verification In Progress)|
Sending Limits until January 31, 2024 (not guaranteed)
Daily: 2,000 message segments
Weekly: 6,000 message segments
Monthly: 10,000 message segment
Starting on January 31, 2024, ALL Pending traffic will be blocked in the US. To avoid this, we recommend submitting your number(s) for verification as soon as possible.
Once we receive your verification submission, Twilio automatically moves your phone number(s) in a Pending Verification status, which allows for daily sending volumes in the US, but subjects your traffic to progressively tighter message filters while verification is processed.
|Verified (Approved)||3 SMS segments per second||Upon a successful review of your verification submission and carrier approval, your number(s) will be moved to "Verified" status. Verified numbers have full access to A2P sending, and a greatly reduced risk for message filtering on Toll-Free traffic toward all major networks in the US and Canada, as long as you adhere to your stated use case and all applicable rules, such as Twilio's Messaging Policy.|
|Rejected||Blocked||A rejected verification request can occur for a number of reasons and can affect your ability to send messaging traffic. For full details, see Why was my toll-free verification rejected?|
Once you submit your verification request and is rejected, you can view the rejection status through the Console.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What happens if I don't complete Verification?
Starting on November 8, 2023, all unverified (Restricted) Toll-Free numbers will be blocked from sending messages to the US. Restricted Toll-free messaging traffic to Canada continues to remain blocked until verified.
Also, starting on January 31, 2024, all Pending Toll-Free numbers will be blocked from sending messages to the US.
See the table above for messaging sending limits until then.
All restricted and pending traffic filtered for these reasons will be blocked with error code 30032. Using additional Toll-Free numbers to exceed these limits or circumvent filtering isn’t allowed, and will result in the same block and error code. Verification is recommended for all customers regardless of volume.
2. I am sending the limited allowed amount of segments but messages are still not going through.
When using toll-free numbers, please be aware: Toll-free numbers can have messages filtered or blocked, even under the daily limit. If you see Error 30032, you might've hit a limit or a filter. The stated limits are the maximum the toll-free number can send, but not always guaranteed. For fewer issues, verify the toll-free numbers early as Verified numbers have a lower risk of message filtering.
3. Do I need to be a US business in order to register at a Toll-Free number?
No, you can use business addresses from other countries to register
4. Will I be charged if I encounter an error when sending an SMS?
If there's an internal error with LC Phone before the message is handed off to the phone provider, you won't be charged. However, charges apply to every message where a delivery attempt has been made, regardless of the final delivery status. This includes messages sent from toll-free numbers, A2P numbers, and those not deliverable due to country restrictions or other factors. We urge users to be fully informed and cautious before sending messages, as refunds will not be provided for undelivered SMS.
What is LC - Phone System?
How to Migrate an Agency and Sub-Account to LC - Phone?
Regulatory Bundle and Address Creation for Sub-Accounts
LC - Phone Messaging Policy
LC - Phone Pricing Structure